Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Birthday Boy in the House!

Today is Ian's 7th birthday! As people always say, "I can't believe where the time has gone", I also am saying that today. Development has been very slow these past 7 years, and because of that you might think the time has gone by slowly, but for us it hasn't worked that way. It has still passed quickly, and Ian has taught us many things we would never have learned had he not been a special needs child. Hopefully, Brian and I are better for it! We're planning to have a little party for him today and another one when his Pops and Memi come from OK on Monday. Ian isn't a big sweets eater, so a treat for him is going to be a huge bowl of Fritos with a lighted number 7 in the middle! Brian is also planning to come home early so we can light the outdoor firepit and roast marshmellows. (Ian loves to be outside.) Gifts can be tricky, but anything that promotes movement is usually a hit. Happy Birthday Ian!! We love you!!

Our trip to Houston went pretty much as we anticipated. Brian's parents arrived Wed. (the day before us) and settled into their hotel. However, they were able to move to an apartment Friday night. There were no appointments Sat or Sunday, but they started testing yesterday- Monday. (Brian's sister arrived Sunday night- just a few hours after we left.) They said yesterday's testing went well but of course they were tired. The testing will continue until Wed, and Thursday afternoon they will meet with the doctor to find out what the treatment options are. They are prepared to stay in Houston for the treatment if that is the recommendation. Brian is considering going to the appointment on Thursday but has not decided for sure. Please continue to pray for his mom and dad. It is such a difficult situation but very inspiring to watch a couple married for so many years care for each other when the chips are down. What a wonderful example they are for us.

As I said, Pops and Memi (my parents), are coming Monday to learn the ropes on taking care of Ian while we're in Thailand. Needless to say, I'm nervous to leave him for two weeks. Trying to figure out what he wants is a constant quandry I'm in, and figuring it out ASAP is of utmost importance- or you better have nerves of steel! As far as safety, I've told them, "Just don't shut his fingers in the car door!" That probably sounds like a funny request, but when you have a blind child, their fingers are pretty darn important! Oh, and their backs! I hope they've been hitting the gym this month!

Preparations to bring Olivia home are going just fine. Sometimes at night, when I'm lying awake in bed, my stomach starts doing flip-flops and I question whether I will be able to concentrate the last couple of days to wrap things up here. I know I'll be able to, but it can be a bit overwhelming! The next time I write, I'll post the tentative schedule on the right so you can see what will be going on once we arrive in Bangkok.

I've got to go! I can't stay on this computer all day! I've got birthday presents to buy!

Hope everyone has a good week!

Leah

2 comments:

Robin and Kyle said...

I hope Ian had a Very Happy Birthday!

Wow - only one week to go!

Julie said...

Hi, I have just found your blog through Tracey and Joel. You little girl is so cute. We are wating for our invite to travel at the moment. Our referal was last Sept. Hope you journey our to Thailand goes well
Julie