Thursday, May 1, 2008

You Never Know Where You'll Find Yourself!

This evening I am writing from the hospital here in Shreveport. Ian was admitted as a patient this morning at 6:00. All 7 years of Ian's life he has had stomach problems- sometimes worse than others but they could always pop up at any time. A few weeks ago I scheduled him an appointment with a gastrointerologist, which was set for this past Monday. We were at the office from 2:00 until about 5:30, and during the visit the doctor scheduled inpatient testing for today and suggested the possibility of a feeding tube. So, that is what has brought us here. We were quite concerned about the possibility of a feeding tube, and fortunately, after the scope this morning the doctor said he doesn't think it will be necessary. We are so thankful for that news. Also, he thinks we should be able to manage his stomach problems with medications and or supplements. Additional testing is scheduled for tomorrow, and I believe a treatment plan will be developed. We are SO hopeful this will solve or at least greatly reduce his stomach issue, which is primarily gastritis. It has been terribly difficult to manage over the past 7 years, so we are VERY excited to see improvement of any kind!

Olivia has been great today! She and her daddy are even off somewhere without me! Yeah! This is the first time they have been alone together for any significant length of time, so it is quite a milestone for them. I may have to go hunt them down!

I better close for now. They are coming in to do labs soon. All is going well though. We're looking forward to more peaceful days ahead!

Leah

Leah

3 comments:

jeff and misty said...

praying for sweet ian tonight. hoping you are back home soon and that you can get some good rest!
misty and family

Anonymous said...

sending out prayers to you.

hirally

chaniemom said...

Hi! I just found your blog. We are adopting a teenage girl from Thailand. I'm sorry to hear about your son's struggles. I had lots of stomach trouble as a child. As an adult I discovered that I must not have enough stomach acid to help break down my food. If my stomach hurts I take a tablespoon of lemon juice and it feels so much better. No wonder I liked sour things as a child. I'd even eat raw rhubarb. I hope you'll find a solution for Ian, soon.