Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Looks Like February!

Marissa, our social worker at Holt, called yesterday. Anytime you see it's your agency calling, you tend to get a little excited! However, I really didn't think she was calling to say we had been approved for travel. . .and she wasn't.

We have been having some problems with USCIS (immigration) regarding one of our petitions (form i600) and our fingerprints. Without going into a lot of detail, let me just say that if they are not going to approve our petition before we travel to Thailand, we HAVE to make a trip to New Orleans ASAP to get the fingerprints redone. Then we will just refile the petition once we get to Thailand. That may sound simple but it's a 6 hour trip to New Orleans and Holt isn't sure what will happen if the embassy in Bangkok sees two petitions on file. They want to make sure we aren't held up once we get to Thailand, and it's better to take care of things now so that there aren't any surprises once we get there! Anyway, she suggested I contact our state senator to inquire as to the status of our petition. It is amazing how much goes into an international adoption, and you really can't grasp it until you are in the middle of it.

With that said, Marissa thinks we will travel in February! The board in Thailand meets two times a month. This February, they are meeting the 13th and 27th. So, it looks like we will be in Thailand, picking Olivia up, at one of those two meetings.

As the time gets closer, I am starting to count the days more. Previously, I didn't keep track because I knew it would only make the wait seem longer. Now that we're getting closer, I feel like I can start counting them down and I won't be discouraged- just more excited! First, we get the travel call, and then all of the preparation really kicks in. At that point, we know exactly how much time we have left.

I need to make that call to the senator's office. The sooner we have an answer from immigration, the better. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment in New Orleans for Monday just in case they aren't going to go ahead and approve us. That means we'll leave this Sunday afternoon and spend the night there.

To leave any comment to a post I write, I think you just click on "comments". I'm not sure if I have it set up so that all comments are available to be read or whether only Brian and I can read them. Anyway, that's how that works.

Have a good day-

Leah

No comments: